Saturday, September 3, 2016

Audible Monthly Credit(s) Report: August

Better late than never, I present my Audible Monthly Credit(s) Report for August.  I have a two-credit per month subscription at Audible and the ritual of spending these credits is one that I treasure.  In August, I struggled with my decision a bit and still feel just so-so about my choices. 

I thought I would love Stuart Nadler's The Inseparables, but I just didn't.  There were some nice moments throughout, but the fifteen year-old daughter character was way too wise to be believable.  It felt like Nadler had a bunch of cool details and observations he had been saving up and just used his characters to voice them, even when the proverbial shoe didn't fit. 

I am probably one of the only persons in America who associates Julian Fellowes with novels and not with Downton Abbey.  I've only seen season one.  I've been assured that I will LOVE the series and that I HAVE TO WATCH IT, and I promise that I will.  But for some reason, I just haven't gotten around to it.  I have listened to audio editions of two of his novels though--Snobs and Past Imperfect--and thoroughly enjoyed both.  The reviews of the audio production of Belgravia are very positive so I went for it.  I haven't listened yet, but I anticipate a good experience. 
Right after I had spent my monthly credits, Audible came out with one of there 2-for-1 sales where you can get two books for one credit when choosing from a limited selection of titles.  Whenever they have this sale, there is an option to "purchase more credits," which I had never investigated.  I looked at the list of titles and saw that in included all of Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan novels so I bought three extra credits (the credits are sold in 3s).*  Then, I started remembering that My Brilliant Friend had actually not been a great listen.  I ended up really liking the book, but as a listener who does not speak Italian, I had a difficult time keeping track of all the character names.  So, I spent one of my new credits to purchase Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood, which a reader I trust really liked, and Viet Thanh Nguyen's The Sympathizer, which will be one of those books that I will never be in the mood to listen to but will really love once I press play.

As a side note, it looks like the enhanced "new look" of the Audible library that I clumsily navigated when spending my monthly credits did not last long.  Back to business as usual when I bought my 2-for-1 titles. 

*The three extra credits totaled under $35 dollars (can't find the exact figure on the site), about what I pay per credit with my monthly subscription ($22.95 for two credits).  However, I don't want to get in the habit of buying extra credits as I so look forward to deliberating about how to spend the two I have.  It will be nice to have the extras for listening emergencies though!

No comments:

Post a Comment