Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Quick Lit -- February

Favorite February Reads ...
On Writing:  A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King -- King is a master.  What a treat to read about his early years, his journey as an author, and his straightforward, thoughtful, non-pompous wisdom about craft.  Reminds me that I still need to read The Green Mile and need to talk my hubby into joining me for 11.22.63 on Hulu.  If you haven't read 11.22.63, please do it! 

Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes -- I already told you how much this book resonated with me this month.

Mrs. Engels by Gavin McCrea -- I didn't anticipate thinking much about Marx and Engels in my post-grad school life.  I never would have thought to imagine the personal lives of their loved ones, but I am glad Gavin McCrea did.  McCrea's Lizzie is a memorable and lovable character.

Great writing, but ...
These books were well written with some very well-crafted scenes and intriguing characters, but I can't tell you to rush to grab them for your nightstand:  The Past by Tessa Hadley and Dear Thief by Samantha Harvey.  Ditto Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man.

I fear I am becoming an impatient, lazy reader in my advanced age.  To all of the authors mentioned above:  it's not you, it's me.  

If I were 10 ...
I'd be crazy about Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein.  I did enjoy it at 40 and love that my ten year-old was breathing down my neck to finish it so he could start it.

It's okay to skip ...
Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald, especially the audio version.  Full rant on this audio production can be found on Goodreads, where I am booksandcarbs.  Please find me.

Also, now that Instagram has made it easier to manage multiple accounts from one device, you can find me there as booksandcarbs as well.

For more Quick Lit posts, check out Modern Mrs. Darcy and friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment