Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Turning the BookPage


I've mentioned before how much I enjoy perusing the complimentary issues of BookPage on offer at my public library.

A few highlights from the March issue ...
Librarians list ten books they are excited to share with readers in March.  Three of these were already on my radar, but I appreciate the reminder!  I am looking forward to Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney's The Nest, Lyndsay Faye's Jane Steele (if you haven't read her Timothy Wilde books, get to it!  Gods of Gotham is first), and Helen Simonson's The Summer Before the War.

The ad you can glimpse to the right there is my first clue about a collection of never-before-published-in-the-U.S. short stories by the late, great Maeve Binchy.  The collection is called A Few of the Girls, which sounds just like something a Maeve Binchy character would say -- "A few of the girls and I are going for dinner and a nice glass of wine.  Join us, won't you?  It'll be grand."  That's not a quote from the book.  I don't always love short stories, but I do love Maeve Binchy and have been collecting hardcover editions of all of her books for a dozen years or so.

Looking forward to any March books?  Have you found BookPage at your library?


1 comment:

  1. As a part of a continuing education course on Alzheimer's and dementia, I was fortunate to sit next to a dear friend of mine and listen to Lisa Genova speak on the topic and discuss how she came to write Still Alice. She was selling her other books there, as well, so I picked up and have read Love Anthony. Anthony is a boy with autism, so I was drawn to the book since, like Alzheimer's, Autism is a pretty big part of my life (nephew and close friend's son). I can't say that it spoke to me in the same way that Still Alice did, but I did enjoy reading a fictional book centered around the topic of Autism. If you haven't read it, you may want to check it out sometime. Love to you, MEP.

    ReplyDelete