Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Kindle First -- Whatdya Think?

I've been an Amazon Prime member for about ten years, I think.  I joined for the free, fast shipping.  A few years ago, our family began accessing the Prime videos for streaming television shows, movies, and original series.  I downloaded the Prime Music app on my phone, but I'm not exactly sure what's going on there yet.  The idea of Prime Photo Storage is appealing.  However, the whole arena of digital photo storage, clouds, etc., makes me feel anxious.

My awareness of the Kindle First book offerings for Prime members was only foggy.  Basically, Prime members can choose one book each month for free that is going to be released the following month.  I always assumed the books wouldn't be any good so didn't follow up until a friend of mine told me she had gotten a book we ended up selecting for book club for free via Kindle First.  I started paying attention. 

Now, checking out the Kindle First selections and choosing one has become another monthly ritual.  I've read a few books so far, my favorite of which was Kerry Lonsdale's Everything We Keep -- crazy mystery/romance page-turner.
Here are screen shots of this month's offerings.  I couldn't fit the Amazon-provided tag lines in my collage, but I will list them below.  By the way, I'd love to be able to write these kind of tags.  I should practice.

Sister One, Two, Three by Nancy Star -- CONTEMPORARY FICTION
Three sisters.  Three Memories.  One chance to reunite them all.

Hope's Peak by Tony Healey -- THRILLER
Detective Jane Harper is learning that secrets in Hope's Peak don't just die hard.  They kill.

The Missing by Caroline Eriksson -- PSYCHOLOGICAL SUSPENSE
When a father and daughter vanish during a family trip, Greta questions her sanity.

Fate of Perfection by K.F. Breene -- SCIENCE FICTION
A corporation made her.  Now it wants her child.

Into the Thickening Fog by Andrei Gelasimov -- LITERARY FICTION
A state of emergency turns wickedly funny for a famous Russian director in his hometown.

The Original Dream by Nukila Amal -- MAGICAL REALISM
What happens when life is like a dream and dreams are like real life?

So what did I choose?  One of the three translated novels on offer ...  A novel that is not magical realism or science fiction...  A novel that sounded compelling, funny, and smart...  The one set in Russia ...

Drumroll please.  I chose Into the Thickening Fog by Andrei Gelasimov, who is apparently a popular writer in his own land.  Russia's been on my mind since reading A Gentleman in Moscow, and reading a book where cold features prominently seems like a perfect activity for January (on comfy couch with warm blanket).

If you're Prime, it will cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time to treat yourself to a Kindle First selection.  Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I had no idea about this feature! Will have to check it out as I'm already a Prime member.

    ReplyDelete