Monday, March 6, 2017

Audible Monthly Credit(s) Report

As you know, spending my monthly audiobook credits is a cherished monthly ritual for me. 

This month's choices were easy.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders is buzzing all over the place -- especially in the world of audiobookers.  I've had many incredible listening experiences involving a single narrator and am thinking my head might explode when I begin listening Lincoln in the Bardo with its cast of 166 narrators.  Added to all of that, I live in the Land of Lincoln, have/had academic interests in female friendship and democracy in nineteenth-century America (that included Mrs. Lincoln), and welcome the opportunity to immerse myself in a different moment in presidential history.

Laurie Frankel's This Is How It Always Is is even more buzzed about than Lincoln in the Bardo.  I finished it this morning.  I loved Frankel's writing and loved being with Claude, Poppy, Rosie, and Penn as they navigated difficult (woefully inadequate adjective) terrain.  No easy answers here but lots of good questions, including one which Penn asks about whether we want things to be easy for our kids (only paraphrasing since I listened and can't easily locate exact quotation).  I'm definitely still processing.  Tons to unpack here in terms of secrets, gender, family, narrative/storytelling, parenting, and the comforts and limits of binaries.  Another friend is poised to finish soon so I'm hoping we can discuss it. 

What's on your March listening list?


No comments:

Post a Comment