Monday, November 6, 2017

Audible Monthly Credit(s) Report -- September 2017

Playing catch up again.

Here's the lowdown on my September credits...

The Resurrection of Joan Ashby by Cherise Wolas was an excellent listen.  Joan Ashby is a brilliant writer who meets early success only to have her career nearly eclipsed by motherhood.  While a novel with this premise could slip easily into stereotypes and heavy-handedness, Wolas tackles it in a nuanced, interesting way.  Snippets of Joan's writing are interspersed throughout the text.  As a listener, I just sat back and enjoyed them, but I might have been frustrated with these "interruptions" if I were reading the print edition. I though the samples of Joan's writing helped illustrated the ways an author's life might be reflected in his/her (even) fictional work.  I'd love a chance to with others about this book, especially with those who are mothers, writers, and artists.

The Weight of Lies by Emily Carpenter did not live up to its ratings (currently 3.88 star-average on Goodreads) for me.  Lots of interesting elements here:  a mystery, a bestselling novel that may be true, a romance, two bad moms and one confused daughter, wild horses, and an old inn.  I thought it fell short.  I never felt engaged in the mystery.  I never felt like I had enough good clues or information to try to figure anything out for myself or even to care enough to.  I just sat back and listened as I was eventually told what really happened.  Okay.




No comments:

Post a Comment