Thursday, September 20, 2018

#bookstagram & #bookstagramjoy


So, I'm on Instagram, four times over actually; each of my accounts allows me to follow and connect with people who share various interests of mine.  As @booksandcarbs, I follow readers and booklovers in the #bookstagram community.  If you're on Instagram and curious, click on #bookstagram and see the many kinds of posts this hashtag inspires.

Some aspects of #bookstagram are annoying to me:
* Some users post pretty pictures of books but offer no commentary about the books.  Are you recommending it?  Do you just like the cover?  Did it just match your couch, socks, patio furniture, etc.?

* Some users post pretty pictures of books that they aren't actually reading (or even planning to read) and do this multiple times per day (Hmmm, you have several kids and a job and you've posted photos of seven different books today and five different books yesterday.  Are there more hours in your day than in mine?)  No one has asked me to be a #bookstagram detective, but I'd explore the position if asked.

* Users who have received review copies of books post photos of them.  I know that's what's expected when one accepts a review copy, but I get annoyed when I scroll through my feed and see the same book pictured over and over, often with very little text to tell me if it's a book I'd enjoy or not.

* Users who are all about numbers of followers and don't focus on creating interesting content.

There are some other aspects of #bookstagram that annoy me, but I already feel petty and nitpicky about what I've said so far.  The bottom line is that I am looking to connect with lovers of books more than with photographers and promoters of books.  

Some aspects of #bookstagram are glorious to me:
* Some users post beautiful photos of books that I've never heard of and include commentary.  Then, I have the pleasure of learning more about that book/author and tracking down a copy if I'm especially intrigued! 

* Many users talk about the books!  I love honest feedback about what they're reading paired with cool photos of the books.

* I have found a few "kindred spirits" on #bookstagram, people whose reading tastes are similar to mine and from whom I learn about books beyond the current bestseller list (not that I am against contemporary lit or bestsellers -- I read plenty of both!!).
 
I've had a few "happy ending" reading experiences, thanks to #bookstagram -- times when I've discovered a book and then gone on to read and enjoy it!  I'm going to try to write up some of these experiences on this blog under a new feature called #bookstagramjoy (or a cooler hashtag that hasn't come to me yet).  Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment