Monday, November 30, 2015

Wait a second ...

I won't bother explaining why I was at the Arby's drive-thru at 9:10 pm (neither for dinner, nor for a late night snack), but I had to take this pic of their Holiday Hours signage.  It's blurry because I felt goofy and creepy taking it.

I am very much against stores being open for bargain shopping on Thanksgiving Day.  That just sucks.  On the years when I spend Thanksgiving in Ohio, however, I always go out on Black Friday with my mom, sisters, my niece (new addition), and usually a family friend as well.  We avoid all big box stores and arrive at the mall around 6:30am.  There are good deals to be had at many mall stores, and I did well this year at Disney Store, Anthropologie, Macy's, and Nordstrom.  Morning at the mall is crowded but not painfully so.  We go about our business, share some laughs, make some purchases, and take turns carting cumbersome bundles to the car.  I am very kind to those working on Black Friday.  Not to brag, but I usually know and understand the intricacies of the various coupons and discounts, which makes for smooth transactions.  I've seen some overcrowded fitting room return racks and groups of women in matching holiday sweatshirts but never any pushing, elbowing, or trampling.  We eat an early lunch around 11:30 and then head home as things start heating up.  The crowds build, the parking lot gets packed, and many of the best discounts expire.  End scene for us.

In short, I love Black Friday the way that my posse and I do Black Friday.  I look forward to the child-free time with my mom and sisters.  I really enjoy the special lunch. 

But here's where Arby's and I differ:  Black Friday is not a holiday.  It's just not.

No comments:

Post a Comment