Monday, September 12, 2016

Who's Down with P&P? Every last lady.

Here's a little round-up of some of my semi-recent Pride and Prejudice goodies and goals.

This picture is making me sad because I took it back in June and summer feels so over now.  The Pride and Prejudice zipper pouch from Out of Print was a birthday gift from a dear friend.  I was testing out my son's Kindle earlier in the summer and was using the pouch as a makeshift case.  I've returned his Kindle now and am trying to figure out what's worthy enough to be regularly zipped inside the P&P case.  Certainly nothing lame like receipts or coupons or feminine products.

This photo is even older, taken on my 41st birthday back in March.  Another dear friend had won a Goodreads Giveaway advance reader's edition of Curtis Sittenfeld's Eligible.  She sent it to me after she read it, and I saved it for a birthday treat.  I spent almost the entire day devouring Eligible (and the KIND bar and fountain DC pictured).  Twas glorious to spend the day reading, especially a novel I found familiar and refreshing at the same time.  Some of Sittenfeld's updates worked better for me than others (Mrs. Bennett as shopping addict really, really worked for me), and I had so much fun seeing her contemporary take on this beloved novel.  Plus, Eligible was set in Cincinnati, my hometown, and I had the pleasure of knowing that Elizabeth's running routes in the book were the same as my early twenties power-walking routes (during which I listen to audiobooks, including the Flo Gibson-narrated Pride and Prejudice); the thrill of picturing Mark Darcy (Colin Firth incarnation, obvs) at Skyline Chili; and the delight of seeing a place and book I love intersect.  Thank you, Curtis Sittenfeld, another Cincy gal, for doing the novel and city justice!

Speaking of Curtis Sittenfeld, here's a screenshot of a Sara Sliger's Twitter Feed as she's giving props to Eligible.  Sliger mentions Bridget Jones as a "great modernization" and also references "that Mormon version, which I loved."  How did I not know of the existence of Pride and Prejudice:  A Latter-Day Comedy?  My library doesn't have the DVD, and I haven't figured out if I can stream it somehow, but it's on my to-watch list for sure now.

Terrible photo quality above, but that's what happens when you take a iphone photo at 10:26 p.m.  My friend Natalie, also a P&P superfan, put Jonah Lisa Dyer and Stephen Dyer's The Season on her Goodreads shelf a couple of months back.  I've since seen some positive buzz about the book and decided I'd try it.  Pride and Prejudice reboot (YA, I think?) -- Texas soccer star forced into debutante season.  Tagline on cover:  Debutantes.  Debauchery.  Disaster.  Come on, I have to see for myself.  I'll update you once I've read it.

Any P&P goodies or goals on your radar?  Please share.



No comments:

Post a Comment