Friday, February 17, 2017

Odyssey Soundtrack: August 2016-February 2017+


I've posted about the music we listen to in our minivan several times before.

Ever since August, we've been all about one thing in the Odyssey:  Hamilton.  The kids and I know all the songs.  Our love grows with each listen.  

Our faves ...
Mama loves "It's Quiet Uptown" and "Burn" (the line about Icarus!!!) and all of King George's songs.

My eleven year-old son was a big fan of "Cabinet Battle #1" and then became obsessed with "The Room Where It Happens."  Now, "The Election of 1800" is his jam.

My middle guy is into "Cabinet Battle #1" and "The Room Where It Happens."  But, he wants to make it clear, those choices have nothing to do with his big brother's preferences. 

My daughter sings it all but especially likes "Aaron Burr, Sir."  And "The Room Where It Happens."

So in the van where it happens, it's been fun to share this music together and to talk about what happens in the songs.  My middle guy is always asking good questions:  Why isn't Aaron Burr in the room where it happens?  Was Thomas Jefferson glad that Hamilton wanted him for President?  How did that comma change the meaning?  Okay, he didn't ask that last question, but I'd love to break it down for him.

It's also been fun to see the reactions of our carpoolers.  With one exception, they've been intrigued by the music and interested in learning more about the story.  Cool to hear my kids try to explain the context for different songs.

In case you're wondering, we have the "clean" version of the soundtrack.  It's not squeakily so, but I don't feel my children are being corrupted.
My hubby doesn't fully share in our Hamilton passion (in part because he isn't in the Odyssey day-to-day like we are), but he did take note of it and secure tickets for us to take our oldest to see Hamilton in Chicago for his birthday (and my early birthday) back in January.  We LOVED the live performance.  It helped to clarify who was doing the singing in some of the songs.  Tears were spilling from my eyes during "It's Quiet Uptown" and "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story."  Such a wonderful experience.  I loved everything except the signature cocktail (avoid) and the price.  I am hoping to find reasonably-priced tickets (ha!!!!!) to take the other two kids to see it as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment